Saturday, 10 September 2016

The Beginning: A Gentle Breeze

I thought that immortal line from Henry V might serve as an appropriate title for this blog, considering that my travelling companion for this trip is a great fan of  English literature, and Shakespeare in particular.
When my 95 year-old father, Frank, asked me if I would consider accompanying him to France, and acting as his carer, I initially thought that it would  not happen. I doubted whether his doctors would allow, it, that travel insurance would be an impossibility,and that airfares would be prohibitively expensive.
But, no! On the 9th October we're off, on something of a pilgrimage. This year, 2016, marks the 100th anniversary of the arrival of his father, my grandfather, Sgt. F.H Clarke of the 35th Battalion, Australian Imperial Force, in France where he served during The Great War.
I hope in this blog, to chronicle our adventures, and to perhaps help others who might be contemplating travelling with an elderly person.

The Basics

Obviously, when considering such an undertaking, the  primary concern is for the health and well-being of the elderly traveller. Having not had much experience with 95 year-old's, I wondered whether Dad could face up to the rigours of overseas travel. Apart from his mobility declining, and quite severe deafness, (although he can hear reasonably well out of one ear with an aid) he is in quite good health, a fact confirmed by his doctor, who had no problem at all in clearing him to travel, with two provisos. It had to be Business Class, with a lie-flat bed, and I had to accompany him.

Having received a medical clearance, I then started what I thought would be the hardest part of the project, obtaining travel insurance for a 95 year-old. Actually, it was dead easy.
(I might add at this stage, that we are in Australia, and all bookings were made with Australian firms.)

A quick search online found Insure and Go. They specialise in Travel Insurance for Seniors, and will insure people up to 100 years of age! Not only did Dad sail through the medical questions, as holders of the NSW Senior's Card. we received a 15% discount!

Next, with whom do we travel? I acknowledge that not everyone will be able to afford Business Class. However, in our case, it was a condition of travel dictated by dad's doctor.
I decided that we'd go direct to Paris, without stopping over. I know there are differing opinions on this,  but that was what Dad wanted to do so I set about my investigations.
I contacted firstclass.com.au, an Australian web-based travel agent. The consultant, Nick, was fantastic, and gave us lots of options. We finally decided on a terrific Air France fare. Singapore Airlines Business Class to Singapore, then Air France Business Class to Paris.

So, we're booked and insured. Now the waiting begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment